Vaccination protects children from serious illness and complications of vaccine-preventable diseases, including amputation of an arm or leg, paralysis of limbs, hearing loss, convulsions, brain damage, and death. And despite our best efforts to eradicate them, vaccine-preventable diseases such as measles, mumps, and whooping cough, are still a threat.
Adults need vaccines too. Have you had your vaccines? You may be at risk for serious diseases that could be prevented by vaccines, or you may be at increased risk for complications from certain diseases if you have a chronic health condition or weakened immune system. You can reduce the chance that you'll pass on a serious disease to your loved ones. You can also help protect those who can't get vaccinated. And when you get right down to it, who has time to get sick? Or needs the additional expense?
Vaccines For Children Program
Vaccines for children covered by California Health & Wellness are provided through the Vaccines For Children (VFC) program. Vaccines available through the VFC Program are those recommended by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). These vaccines protect babies, young children, and adolescents from 16 diseases. Ask your doctor how to partcipate.
Below are a few of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommended immunizations for adults. Be sure to keep track of your immunizations with this Adult-Immunization-Record sheet.
Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis (Td, Tdap)
- For all adults
- Needed every 10 years
- Prevents lockjaw, which can come from a cut
- About 1 out of 5 people who get Tetanus die if untreated.
Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Sexually transmitted virus
- Commonly leads to cervical cancer
- All women 19-24 years old
You may need other shots, too. People with certain health conditions may also need:
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
- Zoster (shingles)
- Pneumococcal (pneumonia caused by strep bacteria)
- Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B (liver disease)
- Meningococcal (meningitis)
For more information, visit www.cdc.gov. Check with your doctor to see if you need these or other immunizations. You can also call California Health & Wellness Member Services at 1-877-658-0305 (V/TTY: 711) for help finding a doctor, making an appointment or to schedule transportation.
ADULT VACCINATION PROGRAM
With California Health & Wellness you can now get Adult vaccines at the pharmacy – free! Our Adult Vaccination Program allows you and your family to get certain adult vaccines for free at participating pharmacies. You can get vaccines any time including holidays, weekends, and nights (you do not need an appointment, but it is recommended). California Health & Wellness members 19 years of age and older are eligible.
How it works:
- Locate a pharmacy: ask your pharmacist or call Member Services at 1-877-658-0305 (V/TTY: 711)
- Call the pharmacy to see if the vaccine you need is there
- Show your California Health & Wellness Member ID card to the pharmacist
- Get your vaccination
No appointment, no copay, no hassle!
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis A & B
- Herpes Zoster (Shingles)
- Haemophilus Influenza Type B (Hib)
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
- Tetanus and Diphtheria (Td)
- Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis (Tdap)
- Varicella (Chickenpox)
Get Vaccines at pharmacies including:
- CVS Pharmacy
- Target Pharmacy
- Other participating pharmacies
- Locate a pharmacy – select ‘Vaccines’ under advanced search