Welcome to California Health & Wellness. We thank you for being part of our network of participating physicians, hospitals and other healthcare professionals.
At California Health & Wellness, we recognize the important role healthcare providers play in ensuring member access to high quality services. We are dedicated to providing resources and support for you, when and how you need it. We invite you to participate in our webinars to learn more about California Health & Wellness and trending healthcare topics. Please check this page often as our webinar schedule is updated regularly. If you have any questions, please contact your Provider Relations Representative or call Provider Services at 1-877-658-0305.
2023 The Initial Health Appointment
This training covers:
- Updates for 2023
- Importance of the Health Information Form (HIF)
- Overview of the Initial Health Appointment (IHA)
- Accessing the New Member List
- Completing the Health Information Form
- Patient Scheduling
- Billing and coding
Pre-recorded webinar – Initial Health Appointment and Staying Health Assessment (duration: 13:49)
2023 Childhood Blood Lead Levels Screening
About the webinar
- Understand the hazards of lead exposure on children.
- Define the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) CBLLs screening requirements.
- Understand what lead testing code to use.
- Know what documentation and reporting must be completed.
- Understand what follow up activities based on elevated blood lead levels must be completed.
- Know where to go for additional information.
Pre-recorded webinar – 2023 Childhood Blood Lead Levels Screening (duration: 10:31)
Public Programs California Children's Services (CCS) Overview and Care Coordination Training
About the webinar
Overview of the CCS program requirements, information on how to refer eligible members, the CCS referral process, examples of CCS-eligible conditions, and services and benefits of coordination.
Review Information to ensure providers can assist in identifying CCS eligible members and support the provider coordination process.
Provide CCS related contact information, references and pertinent resources to support providers.
Public Programs California Children's Services (CCS) Overview and Care Coordination Training (duration: 17:42)
CMS-HCC Risk Adjustment Provider Education - 2023 ICD-10 Updates
About the webinar
Your patients make us who we are. Join us for a discussion focused on hierarchical condition category (HCC) risk adjustment. We'll discuss documentation strategies, telehealth, and why your role in risk adjustment is crucial to the health of our members.
This webinar will examine:
- Risk Adjustment Overview. Explore the statistical methodology used to compare health risk.
- Coding & Documentation Best Practices. Increase your ability to provide a clear, concise, and complete description of the patient's condition and visit details.
- The Role of Providers.
- 2023 ICD-10-CM Updates. Grow familiar with new guidelines and revisions for 2023.
- Telehealth for Risk Adjustment. Find out which services are acceptable for risk adjustment. Master key terms and how to properly document telehealth encounters.
Pre-recorded webinar – CMS-HCC Risk Adjustment Provider Education (duration: 48:01)
Partnership with Skilled Nursing Facilities
About the webinar
To further CalAIM's goals to standardize and reduce complexity across the state and reduce county-to-county differences, the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) is implementing Benefit Standardization across managed care plans statewide. Benefit Standardization will help ensure consistency in what benefits are delivered by managed care statewide.
Topics that will be covered:
- About Health Net
- LTC Carve-In
- Long Term Care Claims Submission and Payment
- Prior Authorizations and Admissions for Long Term Care
- Transportation services
Pre-recorded webinar – Partnership with Skilled Nursing Facilities to Support the Long-Term Care Population (duration: 22:02)
2023 CalAIM/ACEs Spring Training Series
Webinars available for Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) training and additional areas to support your work with CalAIM and other special populations. These cover the history of ACEs and how ACEs affect lifelong health, Motivational Interviewing, Social Determinants of Health, Cultural Humility and more.
The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) Survey, a Patient Experience Survey
About the Webinar
- Patients' interactions with their providers and provider office staff directly impact the patients' health care experience and their perception of quality care.
- The CAHPS® survey is an annual health care experience survey required by the Centers by Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and for the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) accreditation.
- CAHPS and patient experience are becoming increasingly important in health care. Prepare now by learning how to improve the care experience for all of your patients.
Topics that will be covered:
- Introduction to CAHPS®
- CAHPS® Timeline
- CAHPS® Questions
- Recommendations and Best Practices
Pre-recorded webinar: Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) Survey (duration: 38 minutes)
Improving Timely Follow-Up Care After an Emergency Department Visit for Mental Illness or Substance Use
- Describe the importance of timely follow-up care for individuals that have had an emergency department visit for mental illness or substance use diagnoses.
- Identify different ways follow-up care can be administered to support the individual's treatment plan.
- Administer the appropriate standardized screening tools to screen for mental health conditions and substance use disorders.
Topics that will be covered:
- Introduction to HEDIS® measures Follow-Up After Emergency Department Visit for Mental Illness (FUM) and Follow-Up After Emergency Department Visit for Substance Use (FUA)
- Services that support FUM and FUA compliance
- Recommendations and best practices
Advancing Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship
This webinar instructs clinicians on how to improve antibiotic prescribing to prevent harmful side effects and antibiotic resistance.
Speakers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC) and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health will provide updates on:
- Antibiotic stewardship
- Best practices in antibiotic prescribing
- How to discuss antibiotics with your patients
- How the COVID-19 pandemic has affected antibiotic prescribing.
Pre-recorded webinar: Advancing Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship (duration: 34 minutes)
Provider Webinar: Medi-Cal Rx Prior Authorization Reinstatement
Watch this webinar to learn about Medi-Cal Rx reinstatement of prior authorization for several drug classes. No registration is needed. View a prerecorded webinar if you can’t attend the live version.
- Prerecorded webinar – On-demand, 13 minutes in length
- Live webinar – September 23, 2022, noon–1:00 p.m.
For more information about the reinstatement, go to Provider News to access provider update 22-709m, Find Out What Changed: Reinstatement of Prior Authorizations for Several Drug Classes Under Medi-Cal Rx, distributed on August 31, 2022.
This webinar shares the quick and convenient ways that PCPs use eConsults, a no-cost specialty care resource that California Health & Wellness offers to providers serving Medi-Cal members. Learn about eConsults, which are digital dialogues between PCPs and CA-licensed specialists to provide rapid support to the PCP. Our eConsult Provider, ConferMED, uses native referral workflows and has a network of 30+ adult and pediatric specialties available to share expertise to enhance member care.
Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) Survey
Facility Site and Medical Record Review Training
California Collaborative Site Review Training workgroup is comprised of 22 Medi-Cal plans in California that have come together to create one comprehensive training to educate Our Primary Care Network providers. This training has been mandated by the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) as directed through All Plan Letter (APL) 20-006. the updated standards to take affect as soon as the Public Health Emergency defined by Governor Newsom has been lifted for California. These revised Tools and Standards are in response to the growing number of Preventative measures set forth from a multitude of organizations such as the CDC, USPSTF, OSHA, AAP to name a few.
These trainings comprise of a Facility portion and a Medical Records portion. Our goal is to update these training videos as our industry changes. DHCS has made it their mission to revise these tools about every 2 years to aid in the health of California’s Medi-Cal recipients and provide the highest quality of service.
HEDIS Improvement Program (HIP)
HIP recognizes and rewards open-panel and participating PCPs and clinics for their improvement in quality outcomes. The improvement measures are derived from the Managed Care Accountability Set (MCAS) from the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS).
Pre-recorded webinar: California Health & Wellness HEDIS Improvement Program (recording) (duration: 12 minutes)
Clinic HEDIS Improvement Program (C-HIP)
C-HIP recognizes and rewards open-panel and participating primary care clinics for their improvement in quality outcomes. The improvement measures are derived from the MCAS from DHCS.
Pre-recorded webinar: California Health & Wellness Clinic HEDIS Improvement Program (recording) (duration: 16 minutes)
We invite you to participate in one of our webinars to learn more about California Health & Wellness. For your convenience, we will offer the webinar multiple times. Some of the topics that will be covered include:
- Benefits Explanation
- Billing and Claims Submission
- Medical Management Processes
- California Children's Services (CCS)
- Grievances and Appeals Process
- And much more
New Provider Orientation Packet (PDF)
CHW Provider Training Attestation Form (PDF)
Clinical Provider Trainings
California Health & Wellness network providers and their stakeholders have access to take part in free specialized behavioral health clinical trainings. Providers interested in training may register for training here.
Available training topics include but are not limited to the following:
- Evidence-based practices, promising practices and emerging best practices
- Cultural Competency
- Suicide Risk and Assessment
- Integrated physical and behavioral health
- Substance Related and Addictive Disorders overviews
- Strengths Based Treatment
- Mental Health First Aid for Youth and Adults
- Provider Screening tools for screening behavioral health symptoms
- For continuing training on behavioral health and substance use, please refer to the Training and Education Course Catalog (PDF). The courses cover several behavioral health and substance use topics, across multiple age groups and populations.