Welcome to California Health & Wellness. We thank you for being part of our network of participating physicians, hospitals and other healthcare professionals.
At California Health & Wellness, we recognize the important role healthcare providers play in ensuring member access to high quality services. We are dedicated to providing resources and support for you, when and how you need it. We invite you to participate in our webinars to learn more about California Health & Wellness and trending healthcare topics. Please check this page often as our webinar schedule is updated regularly. If you have any questions, please contact your Provider Relations Representative or call Provider Services at 1-877-658-0305.
Provider-Patient Communication Training
This training can help support medical staff to communicate with patients in a way that makes written and oral information easier to understand using plain language communication and teach back strategies with your patients.
Pre-recorded webinar: Provider-Patient Communication (duration: 16:37)
2023 Medi-Cal Risk Adjustment Model Changes CDPS + Rx
Learn about model change to Chronic Illness and Disability Payment System (CDPS) + Rx, accurate medical record documentation, and coding that is needed for success.
The California Department of Health Care Services recently shared changes to the Risk Adjustment program model. The new change helps determine appropriate risk premium, strengthens the accuracy of member health status profiles, and boosts the quality of care through the disease management programs.The webinar examines:
- Model change overview. Explore the statistical methodology used to compare health risk.
- Leading practices & coding trends. Review examples of coding trends identified during chart reviews.
- The role of providers. Find out why you and your team have the vital role in risk adjustment.
CMS Risk Adjustment Model Changes v28
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) published a Final Rule with the three-year phased approach of the New 2024 Model. This release included, among other items, major changes to the Medicare Advantage (MA) risk adjustment model version 24 (v24) by adding blended proposed risk adjustment MA model version 28 (v28).
The webinar examines:
- Review the latest change from the 2024 Medicare announcement for CMS Hierarchical Condition Categories (HCC) risk adjustment model v28.
- Share comparison between versions v24 and v28.
- Review the newly added HCC categories and the ones that will be deleted.
- Discuss the high level of the most impacted HCC and,
- Learn how correct documentation and coding is important to show the patient's health status.
Pre-recorded webinar: CMS Risk Adjustment Model Changes (duration: 16:26)
Community Connect – findhelp Training
How to access low to no-cost resources for members
To connect all people in need and the programs that serve them (with dignity and ease). Learn how to access and refer members to low to no-cost social care resources and services.
Pre-recorded webinar: Community Connect - findhelp training (duration: 10:26)
What is the Dyadic Services and Family Therapy Benefit?
- A family and caregiver-focused model of care intended to address developmental and behavioral health conditions of children as soon as they are identified.
- This benefit and model promote access to preventive care for children, immunization completion, coordination of care, child social-emotional health and safety, developmentally appropriate parenting, and maternal mental health.
- The dyadic services benefit is designed to support implementation of comprehensive models of dyadic care that work within the pediatric clinic setting to identify and address caregiver and family risk factors for the benefit of the child.
Pre-recorded webinar: Dyadic Services 101 (2023) (duration: 11:54)
Medi-Cal for Kids & Teens Provider Training
Early Periodic Screening, Diagnosis and Testing (EPSDT) services for members less than 21 years of age)
Medi-Cal for Kids & Teens Provider Training Agenda:
- Module 1: What is Medi-Cal for Kids & Teens and How Does it Work?
- Module 2: Deep Dive into Behavioral Health Services, California Children’s Services Program, and Skilled Nursing Services.
Pre-recorded webinar: Medi-Cal for Kids & Teens Provider Training (duration: 1:05:49)
2023 The Initial Health Appointment
This training covers:
- Updates for 2023
- Importance of the Health Information Form (HIF)
- Overview of the Initial Health Appointment (IHA)
- Accessing the New Member List
- Completing the Health Information Form
- Patient Scheduling
- Billing and coding
2023 Childhood Blood Lead Levels Screening
About the webinar
- Understand the hazards of lead exposure on children.
- Define the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) CBLLs screening requirements.
- Understand what lead testing code to use.
- Know what documentation and reporting must be completed.
- Understand what follow up activities based on elevated blood lead levels must be completed.
- Know where to go for additional information.
Pre-recorded webinar – 2023 Childhood Blood Lead Levels Screening (duration: 10:31)
Public Programs California Children's Services (CCS) Overview and Care Coordination Training
About the webinar
Overview of the CCS program requirements, information on how to refer eligible members, the CCS referral process, examples of CCS-eligible conditions, and services and benefits of coordination.
Review Information to ensure providers can assist in identifying CCS eligible members and support the provider coordination process.
Provide CCS related contact information, references and pertinent resources to support providers.
CMS-HCC Risk Adjustment Provider Education - 2023 ICD-10 Updates
About the webinar
Your patients make us who we are. Join us for a discussion focused on hierarchical condition category (HCC) risk adjustment. We'll discuss documentation strategies, telehealth, and why your role in risk adjustment is crucial to the health of our members.
This webinar will examine:
- Risk Adjustment Overview. Explore the statistical methodology used to compare health risk.
- Coding & Documentation Best Practices. Increase your ability to provide a clear, concise, and complete description of the patient's condition and visit details.
- The Role of Providers.
- 2023 ICD-10-CM Updates. Grow familiar with new guidelines and revisions for 2023.
- Telehealth for Risk Adjustment. Find out which services are acceptable for risk adjustment. Master key terms and how to properly document telehealth encounters.
- Pre-recorded webinar – CMS-HCC Risk Adjustment Provider Education (duration: 48:01)
- Pre-recorded webinar – Leading Practices for HCC Documentation and Coding (duration: 48:51)
- Pre-recorded webinar – HCC Coding and Documentation Trends to Avoid (duration: 44:09)
- Pre-recorded webinar – HHS Marketplace Risk Adjustment 101 (CA Risk Adjustment Coding and Documentation) (duration: 28:54)
Partnership with Skilled Nursing Facilities
About the webinar
To further CalAIM's goals to standardize and reduce complexity across the state and reduce county-to-county differences, the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) is implementing Benefit Standardization across managed care plans statewide. Benefit Standardization will help ensure consistency in what benefits are delivered by managed care statewide.
Topics that will be covered:
- About Health Net
- LTC Carve-In
- Long Term Care Claims Submission and Payment
- Prior Authorizations and Admissions for Long Term Care
- Transportation services
Webinars available for Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) training and additional areas to support your work with CalAIM and other special populations. These cover the history of ACEs and how ACEs affect lifelong health, Motivational Interviewing, Social Determinants of Health, Cultural Humility and more.
The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) Survey, a Patient Experience Survey
About the Webinar
- Patients' interactions with their providers and provider office staff directly impact the patients' health care experience and their perception of quality care.
- The CAHPS® survey is an annual health care experience survey required by the Centers by Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and for the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) accreditation.
- CAHPS and patient experience are becoming increasingly important in health care. Prepare now by learning how to improve the care experience for all of your patients.
Topics that will be covered:
- Introduction to CAHPS®
- CAHPS® Timeline
- CAHPS® Questions
- Recommendations and Best Practices
Improving Timely Follow-Up Care After an Emergency Department Visit for Mental Illness or Substance Use
- Describe the importance of timely follow-up care for individuals that have had an emergency department visit for mental illness or substance use diagnoses.
- Identify different ways follow-up care can be administered to support the individual's treatment plan.
- Administer the appropriate standardized screening tools to screen for mental health conditions and substance use disorders.
Topics that will be covered:
- Introduction to HEDIS® measures Follow-Up After Emergency Department Visit for Mental Illness (FUM) and Follow-Up After Emergency Department Visit for Substance Use (FUA)
- Services that support FUM and FUA compliance
- Recommendations and best practices
Advancing Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship
This webinar instructs clinicians on how to improve antibiotic prescribing to prevent harmful side effects and antibiotic resistance.
Speakers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention(CDC) and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health will provide updates on:
- Antibiotic stewardship
- Best practices in antibiotic prescribing
- How to discuss antibiotics with your patients
- How the COVID-19 pandemic has affected antibiotic prescribing.
Pre-recorded webinar: Advancing Outpatient Antibiotic Stewardship (duration: 34 minutes)
Provider Webinar: Medi-Cal Rx Prior Authorization Reinstatement
Watch this webinar to learn about Medi-Cal Rx reinstatement of prior authorization for several drug classes. No registration is needed. View a prerecorded webinar if you can’t attend the live version.
- Prerecorded webinar – On-demand, 13 minutes in length
- Live webinar – September 23, 2022, noon–1:00 p.m.
For more information about the reinstatement, go to Provider News to access provider update 22-709m, Find Out What Changed: Reinstatement of Prior Authorizations for Several Drug Classes Under Medi-Cal Rx, distributed on August 31, 2022.
This webinar shares the quick and convenient ways that PCPs use eConsults, a no-cost specialty care resource that California Health & Wellness offers to providers serving Medi-Cal members. Learn about eConsults, which are digital dialogues between PCPs and CA-licensed specialists to provide rapid support to the PCP. Our eConsult Provider, ConferMED, uses native referral workflows and has a network of 30+ adult and pediatric specialties available to share expertise to enhance member care.
Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) Survey
Facility Site and Medical Record Review Training
California Collaborative Site Review Training workgroup is comprised of 22 Medi-Cal plans in California that have come together to create one comprehensive training to educate Our Primary Care Network providers. This training has been mandated by the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) as directed through All Plan Letter (APL) 20-006. the updated standards to take affect as soon as the Public Health Emergency defined by Governor Newsom has been lifted for California. These revised Tools and Standards are in response to the growing number of Preventative measures set forth from a multitude of organizations such as the CDC, USPSTF, OSHA, AAP to name a few.
These trainings comprise of a Facility portion and a Medical Records portion. Our goal is to update these training videos as our industry changes. DHCS has made it their mission to revise these tools about every 2 years to aid in the health of California’s Medi-Cal recipients and provide the highest quality of service.
HEDIS Improvement Program (HIP)
HIP recognizes and rewards open-panel and participating PCPs and clinics for their improvement in quality outcomes. The improvement measures are derived from the Managed Care Accountability Set (MCAS) from the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS).
Pre-recorded webinar: California Health & Wellness HEDIS Improvement Program (recording) (duration: 12 minutes)
Clinic HEDIS Improvement Program (C-HIP)
C-HIP recognizes and rewards open-panel and participating primary care clinics for their improvement in quality outcomes. The improvement measures are derived from the MCAS from DHCS.
We invite you to participate in one of our webinars to learn more about California Health & Wellness. For your convenience, we will offer the webinar multiple times. Some of the topics that will be covered include:
- Benefits Explanation
- Billing and Claims Submission
- Medical Management Processes
- California Children's Services (CCS)
- Grievances and Appeals Process
- And much more
Clinical Provider Trainings
California Health & Wellness network providers and their stakeholders have access to take part in free specialized behavioral health clinical trainings. Providers interested in training may register for training here.
Available training topics include but are not limited to the following:
- Evidence-based practices, promising practices and emerging best practices
- Cultural Competency
- Suicide Risk and Assessment
- Integrated physical and behavioral health
- Substance Related and Addictive Disorders overviews
- Strengths Based Treatment
- Mental Health First Aid for Youth and Adults
- Provider Screening tools for screening behavioral health symptoms
- For continuing training on behavioral health and substance use, please refer to the Training and Education Course Catalog (PDF). The courses cover several behavioral health and substance use topics, across multiple age groups and populations.